First time I prepared this autumn salad I had Kalette in hand, I cooked them
in salted boiling water for 2 minutes, then I rinsed them with cold water, pat dried them and mix them with all the other ingredients. If you don’t have Kalette in hand, use raw kale, green or purple, wash and clean them well, then cut them in julienne and add them into the salad. You can also go for Brussels sprouts, steamed or oven cooked. Both works great. This time I had baby spinach so I used them raw of course, I love their delicate taste and crunchiness. Black Riviera olives are essential for this recipe, but I think you can add any other black olives if you like, even if I must say it’s not going to be the same salad!
I used the orange because it’s the season and I love the delicate taste and the perfume of it with farro, pumpkin and on spinach with olives.... oh so gooood. But you can go for lime/lemon or even bitter orange (Iranian Nārenj) which I loveeee but we don’t have any of it here in Switzerland. So here you are, get creative with all the lovely fruits amd veggies from the season. Go for your own combination and enjoy preparing something hearty, colorful and delicious for you and your loved ones. Happy Autumn days friends. ;)
The pictures are from the recipe which I used raw purple kale but my favorite recipe is the one using Kalettes.
Recipe for 4 People
- 300 g uncooked farro
- 1 kg uncooked pumpkin
- 400 g kalette
- 150 g baby spinach (optional)
- 100 g toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons black Riviera olives in olive oil (essential)
- juice and zest of 1 Nārenj (Bitter Orange) or Orange
- extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- chili flakes
- Clean and wash the farro, place them in a big pot and add cold water, bring to boil and cook until soft but not mushy. When it’s ready, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Prepare the pumpkin by cutting it in smaller pieces, place them in a big tray lined with parchment paper. Add a pinch of salt, cook at 200C with the grill option. We want them cooked but firm and a bit burnt. (Don’t over-cook them)
- Soak the Spinach or Kale in cold water, add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for about 5 minutes, then rinse well and let them dry on a clean kitchen towel.
- After washing Brussels Sprouts or Kalette, boil them in salted water for 2-3 minuets, rinse with cold water.
- Roughly chop the walnuts, then toast them in a pan on a low - medium heat.
- Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl, add the zest of the orange and squeeze its juice all over the salad.
- Add extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Use your clean hands to mix the salad well. Garnish with toasted walnuts and serve immediately. Enjoy.