The beautiful Italian meatballs in capon broth is one of the most popular Italian dishes for Christmas. This recipe is from the sweetest Umbrian granny Bernardina. She prepared these today for tomorrow's Christmas lunch. They are super easy to make, if you do not have the possibility to make a capon broth, make a quick broth with small pieces of meat or chicken. These meatballs are so perfect, the smooth broth with an intense flavor, the fresh orange zest and the aged cheeses make them very special.
Serves 6 People
- 400 g minced beef meat
- 200 g minced pork meat
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup capon broth
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 table spoon zest of orange
- 80 g parmigiano reggiano
- 30 g pecorino romano
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook one in broth, then cut in half to see weather is cooked and to understand how long it needs to cook.
- Prepare the broth (capon, chicken, veg..) in advance.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix them for about 10 minutes or until the mixture comes well together; it shouldn't be sticky and it should have a nice homogeneous color.
- If you have time, let the mixture rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Add some breadcrumbs in a big plate and start to make your meatballs; you should not need to make your hands wet to roll them, so add more breadcrumbs into the mixture if needed. Place them in a the plate.
- Take some of your broth and place it in a smaller pan, bring it to the boil, add the meatballs and let them cook for about 8-10 minutes.