I believe that famous recipes with less than 5 ingredients are made by genius people! It’s not easy to make simple and yummy food with few ingredients! For me Pasta fresca all'uovo (fresh egg pasta) is one of them; you need only two ingredients to make it! Let's get your hands dirty and make some fresh egg past!
Serevs 4-6 People
- 400 g flour Tipo “00”
- 4 free-range eggs
- pinch of salt
- a big bowl
- a fork
- a very clean surface to work the dough on
- a long rolling pin
- Break the eggs in a small bowl and mix them using a fork.
- Place the flour and a pinch of salt in a big bowl, make a well in the middle and add the eggs.
- Start by mixing the eggs with the flour using a fork. When the dough gets thicker and you cannot use the fork anymore start working the dough with your hands to let it come together.
- Transfer the lump on the clean surface and continue to knead it using both hands for about 15-20 minutes. Just work it, strike it into the surface and roll it, then press it and squish it. It's very important to work on the dough until is soft and smooth instead of rough and stubby. Don’t worry if it does not come together at first, it takes a little bit of time. This will give you a very good pasta texture. Silky and also al dente.
- When the dough is soft and beautiful divide it in 4 equal pieces and wrap them really well in cling film, place them in a dry and cool place for about 30 minutes or more. Pasta dough needs to rest! I always cut the dough in small pieces, it’s easier to roll them and I get a better result than rolling the whole dough at once!
Prepare the clean surface and use a pasta machine or a long rolling pin to roll the small dough pieces. I don’t have a pasta machine and I always roll my pasta by hand, it’s not that hard!
Flour the work surface and the rolling pin. Before you roll out your dough press the dough with your fingers to make it flat. Dust it with some flour and start.
One of the best techniques to roll out the dough is to press the rolling pin while rolling outward and to press less while rolling inward. Turn the dough to quarter and repeat the same movement until you obtain the desired thickness.
Don't let the dough get sticky, keep some flour close to use it while you're making your dough. When the Pasta sheets are ready, floured them.
Use a sharp knife to shape your pasta as you need. For tagliolini, tagliatelle o pappardelle, flour the pasta sheets and then roll it on itself and then cut it in more slices. They should have different width depending on type of pasta; tagliolini 2-3 mm, tagliatelle 5 to 7 mm, pappardelle 1.5-2 cm.
. Cut them in thin pieces for Iranian Ash reshteh or for different types of noodle soups as well. For lasagne eaither you can cut them in 20x14 pieces or as I did, just cut them in smaller pieces.
Italians use the bad cut shapes of pasta for “i maltagliati”, literally “bad cut”, which is any dish prepared with bad/ugly pasta cuts. You can use them in soups, pasta or any other dish.
Once you cut out the pasta as you desired, place them in floured plate or clean and humid cloth until you use them.